Rayyan automatically deduplicates 100% exact matches. Rayyan also will detect references that are less than 100% exact matches that may be possible duplicates for manual deduplication. Possible duplicates take into consideration the title, authors, journal and year. The Auto-resolver provides a semi-automated way to resolve these near exact duplicates more quickly as part of a methodical, deduplication process that combines accuracy with speed.
How to incorporate the Auto-resolver in your deduplication process:
1. Detect duplicates: After you have imported all your references collected from various sources into Rayyan, you will want to initiate the deduplication process by clicking the Detect duplicates button.
2. Under Possible Duplicates, click Unresolved to filter by unresolved duplicates.
3. Confirm high confidence duplicates: Rayyan assigns a similarity percentage (a possible duplicate percentage) to each possible duplicate and places this value in front of the reference article's title.
The auto-resolver has the ability to automatically resolve all possible duplicates that have a high similarity percentage, defined as 95% similarity or higher. By visually inspecting all of the possible duplicates with a high similarity percentage, you can confirm that they are indeed duplicates and run the auto-resolver to resolve all the possible duplicates at the same time. If, however, you detect any high similarity possible duplicates (95% or higher) that are not duplicates, then you may resolve those manually first or you may select the next higher percentage that only contains confirmed duplicates, before running the Auto-resolver.
4. Run the auto-resolver: Go to the the Possible Duplicates facet and click the text marked [Auto Resolve] to launch the Auto-resolver.
5. Select the Duplicate Percentage to Auto-resolve: Based on your confirmation that the remaining high similarity articles contain only duplicates, select the highest duplicate percentage that you have confirmed to auto-resolve. For example, if you confirmed that all the remaining possible duplicate articles listed as 97% or higher are in fact duplicates, then select 97%.
6. Select Cancel or Confirm to run the Auto-resolver: Please be advised that you won't be able to undo this action once you confirm. All the duplicates of the percentage you selected and higher will be resolved all at once, which means one copy of the article will be moved to Resolved and the remaining copies will be Deleted. Again, please be advised that you won't be able to undo this action once you confirm.
7. Pay attention to the notifications: Rayyan will start processing all the references and will notify you of the start and end of the process and report the results.
8. View the results: The Auto-resolver will automatically populate the Resolved articles filter under the Possible Duplicates facet with the articles it kept, and move the duplicate copies to the Deleted filter.
You have completed all the steps to use the Auto-Resolver! For any articles with less than a 95% similarity, you will need to complete the remainder of the deduplication process using a manual method by starting with step 3 in this Help Center article on how to resolve duplicates manually.
Note: The icon appearing beside the percentages suggests that the respective references are Auto-Resolved duplicates, while the references without it are those that have been resolved manually.
Please note that some features are available only with certain memberships. Please always check the memberships page to determine if your current membership includes a specific feature. If you would like to change your membership, please visit change my membership.
#AutoResolver #DeDuplication #SemiAutomation
Article is closed for comments.