Rayyan's PICO filters (now in BETA) are available to our Student, Professional, Teams and Enterprise members as part of our early access to new features membership benefit program. Click here now to become a new member or to upgrade your membership to gain access to Rayyan's new PICO functionality and other membership benefits.
Rayyan uses Machine Learning to parse articles that are imported or added to your reviews. Rayyan merges the results for Comparison/Control with Intervention because they are very similar and the results of our testing found this approach to be very effective.
In the results pane below, you'll notice yellow highlights to identify the words and phrases that were identified by Rayyan as PICO related and were used to populate the PICO filters. If you hover your cursor over those highlights, you'll see a % probability assessment and which element of PICO the word or phrase relates to, as shown in the image.
The model currently highlights words or phrases with 70% or greater probability. The highlights also show the entirety of the word or phrase that the model used to make its relevance probability decisions.
Sample PICO Results
Sample PICO Facets
The PICO filters in a sample review are shown above. There are a few important points to note about Rayyan's implementation:
- Rayyan uses truncated forms of words and phrases. This captures multiple variations of words and optimizes accuracy
- The Intervention facet includes both Intervention and Comparison elements (i.e. I and C are merged)
- Like other facets in Rayyan, you can select any number of words or phrases inside each facet. Selecting multiple items in the same facet functions as an OR function. In other words, your results will either stay the same or increase as you select more words or phrases
- Selecting words or phrases across facets works as an AND function. In other words, your results will either stay the same or decrease as you select additional words or phrases in other facets (i.e. your search results will be further constrained by adding more filters)
- You can click More at the bottom of each facet to see additional words or phrases. You can click on Clear at the top to clear all the selections inside that facet
- The facets are sorted by frequency of word or phrase
Please sign in to leave a comment.